Believe it or not, burning a candle in your home or office can be beneficial for your health in several ways. Different scents can create different responses in your body. They can also help create a relaxing ambiance and lower stress, producing several health benefits.
Below, we outline the various benefits of burning candles and what scents to choose based on what you want to achieve.
Candlelight is a low, calming light that creates a relaxed atmosphere. The flicker of the flame is relaxing and can help relieve tension and stress in a room. Adding candles to a space makes the atmosphere cozy and intimate, softening the light and clearing your mind.
Spas, therapists, restaurants, and more use candles to create a tranquil ambiance in their facilities. Candles help refocus your mind and relieve stress. Next time you feel stressed or overwhelmed, light a candle and take deep breaths for 60 seconds or longer. This will help reset your mind and calm your thoughts.
Candles can also contribute to celebrations. Whether for a birthday cake or a romantic night, lighting candles in certain situations can make all the difference. Weddings, anniversaries, and relaxing nights with your significant other can all benefit from the ambiance of well-placed candles.
Aromatherapy is a way of using smells to produce healing. It is a holistic method of improving the mind and body medicinally. Different scents ignite various sensors in your nose, which send messages to your brain.
The messages ignite different brain areas, including the limbic system, which regulates your emotions, stress, blood pressure, breathing, and stress. It also sends messages to your hypothalamus, which releases chemicals like serotonin.
- Lavender: Lavender is known for its calming and sleep-inducing properties. It helps lower stress and soothes your mind. It can help if you have a migraine or a headache, and it can help reduce tension and depression.
- Lemon: Lemon helps with concentration and mind clarification. If you are feeling anxious or angry, burning a lemon candle can help.
- Cinnamon: During Christmas time, you may find that burning a cinnamon candle can get you into the spirit of the season and promote focus and mental concentration. It can also help fight fatigue and mental fog.
- Jasmine: Jasmine calms nerves and for its anti-depressant qualities. It is uplifting and promotes energy, optimism, and happiness.
- Peppermint: If you are trying to create something or brainstorm ideas, a peppermint candle could help. Peppermint helps with creativity, concentration, and effective thinking.
- Rosemary: Rosemary helps with memory retention, alleviates headaches, fights fatigue, and stimulates your brain. If you need a boost getting out of bed in the morning, then burning a rosemary-scented candle is an option.
- Vanilla: The scent of vanilla can help you relax and reduce restlessness. It has a sedative effect and can eliminate hyperactivity in your brain.
- Orange: If you need energy, burn something that smells like orange! It will provide you with a jolt of energy and reduce your anxiety. It has even been shown to help people with PTSD.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is a popular candle scent that can help with cold and allergy alleviation. It opens your airways and reduces congestion. It can also help you relax and breathe better.
- Sage: Interestingly, sage can help with high blood pressure. If you burn a sage scented candle, it could help reduce your blood pressure and regulate your breathing rate.
Possible Health Improvements
Certain scents have been proven to be helpful in treating different physiological and psychological ailments. These include depression, insomnia, anxiety, and more. Scents like lavender, geranium, bergamot, and peppermint have been used for centuries to heal these disorders.
Not only are candles a beautiful decor piece and an excellent addition to any room, but they also have several health benefits. By lowering stress, you can decrease your risk of several different health conditions, and you can help combat anxiety and depression.
When choosing which candles to burn in your home, consider aromatherapy and use certain scents to provoke feelings.
You Might Also Like:
Our Crème Brûlée scented candle balances the sweet scent of creamy caramel and rich vanilla custard with just a hint of chocolate.
The Roaring Fireplace candle is an amber, earthy aroma with balsam, and fresh spices.
Cascadia Editions candles make perfect gifts for anyone who loves outdoor adventure or Pacific Northwest.